Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Engage and plan with high school band director to align programmatic curricular and extra-curricular activities.
2. Work with teachers 5-9 to promote and encourage student participation in the band program.
3. Direct junior high instrumental performers, including beginners, intermediate, advanced, soloists, ensembles, and performance/competition.
4. Establish high performance requirements and enforce academic requirements.
5. Provide for band participation at extra-curricular events, including concerts, football games, pep rallies, parades, and FMEA district and state activities.
6. Coordinate school calendar for before/after school rehearsals.
7. Arrange transportation for events taking place off campuses.
8. Engage in efforts to increase the quality and participation in the BCS band program.
9. Comply with state and federal laws, rules, and board policy regarding band.
10. Assist the High School Band Director in efforts to increase parental and family involvement in the BCS music program. Support band booster activities, if applicable.
11. Interpret and implement sound budgetary practices in accordance with school and district guidelines.
12. Ensure that programs are cost effective and managed wisely.
13. Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets within department.
14. Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all band equipment.
15. Develop and implement plans for instrumental music programs and show written evidence of preparation as required.
16. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
17. Develop and implement differentiated learning strategies to meet the needs of multiple learning styles present in the band classroom.
18. Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
19. Evaluate and place students in band classes according to their ability.
20. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
21. Apply and enforce student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct, student handbook, and band handbook.
22. Accompany and supervise students on all trips.
23. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
24. Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with students, administrators, and teachers.
25 Maintain professional relationships with colleagues, students, parents, administrators, and community members.
26. Work to provide campus, District, and community awareness of band activities and performances.
27. Actively participate in district and area music events, including festivals, FMEA events, etc.
28. Recruit, supervise, and evaluate private lessons instructors and clinicians.
29. Communicate with principal/counselor regarding scheduling student needs.
30. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong Christian testimony.
• Desire to implement and augment a growing Christian instrumental music program.
• Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, Music/Music Education or Performance.
• Valid Florida teaching certificate, K-12 Music endorsement. Special Knowledge/Skills:
• Ability to manage budgets, scheduling, and personnel.
• Knowledge of state, district, and FMEA policies governing band activities.
• Ability to interpret policies, procedures and data.
• Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
• Two years teaching band in an accredited school setting preferred
• Strong brass and/or percussion skills
Commensurate with education and experience, Health insurance, retirement benefits and salary discount available.
3304 43rd Street W
Bradenton, FL 34209
Phone: (941) 792-5454
Fax: (941) 795-7190