Westminster Christian School opened its doors in 1961 with a noble goal in mind: to provide an excellent Christian education to the children of Christian families. Thanks to the vision and dedication of Mr. Jules Vroon, and the leadership of many faithful men and women over the years, Westminster Christian School has become the standard for Christian education in South Florida. Westminster Christian School is South Florida’s premiere college-preparatory, Christian school offering excellent academics, and outstanding fine arts and athletics programs to more than 1,000 students from preschool through 12th grade.
Empowering learners, preparing hearts, and inspiring lives to faithfully serve as ambassadors for Jesus Christ.
Westminster Christian School’s IT Director to speak at Future of Education Technology Conference
Westminster Christian School (Miami) IT Director Omar Valerio has been selected to speak at the 2017 Future of Education Technology Conference (FETC) in Orlando for the third time.
Recognized as an innovator and leader in educational technology, this year Valerio will present on technology infrastructure, “A-Z: How to Implement a Successful 1:1 Program from start to end.”
Staff & Students
David LaVern Medder
Peter H. Cabrera
Full-time Faculty & Administration
Part-time Faculty & Administration
Part-Day Early Childhood 0
Full-Day Early Childhood 0
Grades 1-5 307
Grades 6-8 336
Grades 9-12 514
Enrollment totals include
these special programs:
VPK Students 0
McKay Students 0
Fla Corporate Tax Students 0
School’s Job Opportunities
Posted February 24th, 2017
Library Media Specialist
Westminster Christian School, 6th–12th grade, is seeking a full-time experienced Library Media Specialist who will perform the necessary duties to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information and will provide the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the school library program is aligned with the mission, goals and objectives of the school. This person must be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with Westminster’s educational mission, vision and values.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide formal instruction in library, media, and technology skills, as well as informal assistance to students and staff in locating and using library media materials and technology.
- Empower students to become critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information.
- Plan and teach lessons on information resources, search techniques and research methods, both general and in specific subject areas.
- Guide students in reading for understanding, for exposure to diversity of viewpoints and genres, and for pleasure.
- Be responsible for daily management of library media center routines, evaluation and selection of library media materials, ordering, circulation control, etc.
- Administer the program budget and oversee acquisition and use of space, furnishings, equipment and resources.
- Consult with teachers as they plan research instruction to ensure the incorporation of appropriate library, media and technology materials into research teaching and to recommend the inclusion of library media and technology skills instruction in the classroom.
- Keep abreast of current practice and issues in librarianship and education through journal reading, membership in associations and attendance at conferences and other professional development activities.
- Work with faculty to identify resources with curricular content related to different subject areas.
- Carry out all aspects of collection development and maintenance: evaluate and order new titles to meet the needs of curriculum and the community, cataloging and processing and administering inventory.
- Coordinate and schedule use of the school library for meetings, classes, author visits and other events.
- Organize the annual book fair.
- Administer the integrated library system. This includes setting policies, circulation control, catalog set up, report generation and daily maintenance.
- Provide learning space/resources for classroom teachers as needed for research projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field, with Master’s preferred
- Valid teacher’s certification
- Minimum of 3 years in the field of education
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to understand and support Westminster Christian School’s vision, mission and values
- Proficiency with computer software applications (Microsoft Office applications) and databases
- Familiarity with literature classics and literary genres and ability to facilitate reading promotion and book clubs
- Specialized training related to the position
David Medder, Acting Superintendent
6855 S.W. 152nd St
Miami, FL 33157
Phone: (305) 233-2030
Fax: (305) 253-9623